Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Dear Stranger



We have never met. Perhaps we never will. Your presence in my life is a soft whisper I almost heard. You are not a part of my physical existence, sometimes I wonder if you are real. Tomorrow our lives may drift apart and it will be as if nothing ever happened.

I never asked who you are. You told me your name, but I didn't need to know. I don't know you enough, nor did I care to know. Bits of information, things that you chose to reveal - I have known you in fragments. Our interactions have been sporadic, so accidental.

But those brief moments have brought me a smile. Every moment memorable. Every bit of it has been a joy. Bit by bit we have grown familiar. Bit by bit ... but then.

Between you and me, there is a chasm - I can see you, so far away. You can see me too. But this chasm is unsurmountable. Dear stranger, sometimes I think of you as a friend, other times I shudder to realize that you are indeed, a stranger.

9 comments:

JM said...

Communication between any two people is always essential. After "growing up", I have come to understand the statement, "You've become a complete stranger" when a couple argues.
On the other hand, in the book "The Celestine Prophecy", which I have yet to read, someone told me that one of the concepts taught was that everyone has an impact on one another. Even a complete stranger, that you meet briefly will have an impact on you. You just don't realize the difference they've made.

x said...

nobody is a stranger to anybody. there are just people we have never met. how can we be strangers? we share human experience, we have a common fate and our basic needs are the same. I am not saying we are all friends, but we certainly aren't strangers.
also, i agree with angel. a stranger can be anybody who shows a face we had never seen before.

Camphor said...

Perhaps the most telling phrase is "dear stranger". Dear... stranger? Whatever the englsih language says about 'how to write a letter', 'dear' implies a sense of familiarity, and that is what you sense, through the broken bits of the mirror that you see.

On a related but different line fo though - Just how much do we know out 'real' friends?

Eric said...

Perhaps this "chasm" is one between two minds?

I don't really agree with Chloe, in that there are no such things as strangers. Like Camphor says, two could be brothers and still be strangers in their thinking, their thoughts.

Thanks for the ruthless, particularly brutal honesty, Wriju. Constructive criticism from you is a valuable thing.

x said...

you've gone missing again Wriju!

Wriju said...

Do you find that 'strange' or 'stranger'? ;-)

x said...

strange friend, friendly stranger
come back

Wriju said...

Chloe:
When you say it that way how can I not come back :-)
Thanks you are my favorite reader.

Nisha said...

Nicely expressed!

Cheers!