Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Travelogue - Manali







It sounded like bubbles. And lots of water. Opened my eyes to a bright sun but then I dozed off again and dreamt of yellow submarines and octupus’s gardens. And bubbles and lots of water. And then I heard the sound of bubbles below us. It was a bridge. From one side to the other. We went left to right if you were looking downstream. An ordinary bridge to the naked eye. But quite magical really. Really magical. The world looked different if you crossed it. Magical mountains sprang up from nowhere. Apple trees covered it. And a frothy river called Beas (Bee-aas) gushed out as if it were frightened of something.

I walked all day and remembered Sisyphus as I panted up the mountains. Little girls with baskets full of apples ran up the hills. They looked back at me and laughed. An old man overtook me effortlessly and sped away up the mountain. I yelled out to him and asked where he was going. He pointed to an apple orchard. That is where I went. I sat down under an apple tree and wondered if I was dreaming. Soon afterwards I slept off under the tree. When I woke up it was near sunset. I came down from the mountains.

I had to catch a bus the next day.

10 comments:

Vasu said...

Exotic is not the word. Are you sure that you went to Manali? Sounds like paradise to me.
Little laughing girls, apple orchards,a bridge that is bulit over a river,cold, lovely mountain air, an old man...
Wow,Wriju.
Wow.

Movie Mazaa said...

Its my first time here. I am sure u must hv been told this a 100 times already, but I need to voice what I felt. :) the pics are awesome, especially the Ladakh pics!

:)
Shall be back for more!

Wriju said...

Vasu:
Yes Manali can be paradise. One has to look at it the right way :-)

Deepa:
Have noted it down - will try it next time I am near Delhi ...

Velu:
Thanks - have loads of Ladakh pics and each of them quite heavenly. Will upload them shortly...

Eric said...

All that looks very familiar to me, very Vermont-ish. I could like Manali, indeed I could.

JM said...

Beautiful pictures!!

Tai said...

oh, that's just lovely!

Wriju said...

Eric:
You can find so many bikers there. Reminds me of your old home :-)

Angel:
Thanks - the pictures also have great memories associated with them.

Tai:
Thanks :-)

x said...

you live in a magical, beautiful land and you are a magical, beautiful writer. if i hadn't seen the pictures and had just read your story, i would have imagined the pictures you posted.
xx

Wriju said...

Believe me, when I say that, I could say the exact same thing about. That you are a magical beautiful writer from a magical beautiful land. I am so fascinated about Greece - I am definitely coming there next July :-)

Trailady said...

You have such passion for life and for living it to the utmost. Good for you. I feel refreshed looking at these beautiful travel logs.