Tuesday, August 02, 2011

That I might open an umbrella


That I might open an umbrella to a sky dripping like a leaky tap
And be blown away by the wind
whirling me by degrees and whispering into my ears
alarmist stories from the daily news about
political unrest or an outbreak of a deadly pandemic,
anything really, to keep me engrossed
while I am transported - no planned engineering works
or unscheduled stops - to an unknown destination,
with a book in my hand, the notion of time melting
into the warm bread of lassitude.

That I might look out of my window,
to the dome, glowing in half light,
reflecting the vicissitudes of regular clerks,
and programme managers irritated by
the constant flashing of cameras of
easily surprised tourists and find a path
of gravel or shingle,
gradually disappearing into a thicket,
emerging into the open overlooking
the sea of the insolent smile of a wastrel,
waves frothy with disrespect,
disorderly, disengaged and self-willed.

2 comments:

cupcake chronicles said...

open your umbrella and fly eastwards....the sea has been complaining that it has no cover!

Tanvi said...

Been visiting old blog fellas to see how everyone's doing.
I notice, you are the same-fantastic!

"That I might open an umbrella to a sky dripping like a leaky tap
And be blown away by the wind..."
Loved the idea!