Sunday, March 19, 2006

Octopus' Garden







I'd like to be under the sea
In an octopus' garden in the shade
He'd let us in, knows where we've been
In his octopus' garden in the shade.
-The Beatles

It is a serene feeling, to be among the sea lions at fisherman’s wharf. They make strange noises and slither on top of each other. Noises that sound like grunts or groans. It is a language without words. And hence its meaning is so clear.

I have come to fear words. Words mean different things to different people. That shows how easy it is to misunderstand someone. Sometimes I think it is best to be silent. The language of eyes, smiles and expressions sends messages so universal that they are easily understood. The sea lions make me realize that. I can spend hours gazing at them.

7 comments:

Eric said...

I wonder what other animals think of our babbling chatter.

Tai said...

mmm, imagine spending all your time just absorbing the sunshine without having to explain yourself?
That would be wonderful!

JM said...

I believe words are a person's strongest/weakest weapons.

Mike said...

I've seen those sea lions before... Must be nice to be so lazy. But if I had to choose between words and all that blubber, I'd go with the words!

x said...

don't fear words. being misunderstood is sometimes better than not being heard at all. Make sounds Wriju!

Camphor said...

Ah, but words let you share your pleasure in silence, don't they?

That's the best bit about words. The sharing. Especially when eyes can't be seen and smiles can't be felt...

Spider Girl said...

The top three pictures with the sea lions and sea gulls instantly reminded me of where I live in B.C.